This is how MobilePay works
MobilePay is a quick and easy way to pay.
MobilePay is an easy, fast and popular mobile payment method. You can explore the application in more detail on MobilePay's website.
With MobilePay, you can pay for online purchases with just one swipe. MobilePay, Finland's most popular mobile payment application, is free for all bank customers.
How to pay using MobilePay
When a customer uses MobilePay for online shopping, the payment steps are as follows:
1. When purchasing from an online store, the customer enters the mobile phone number connected to the MobilePay application.
2. The customer accepts the payment in the MobilePay application.
3. The payment is charged to the card the customer linked to the MobilePay application.
The payment flow can be seen in the images below. The first two images on the left are browser images, and the last one is a phone screenshot taken during payment acceptance.
- MobilePay will ask for your phone number.
- MobilePay will send a notification that the payment needs to be confirmed in the MobilePay application.
- The payment is confirmed in the MobilePay application, and then the customer is returned directly to the online store.
MobilePay and Paytrail's payment service
The growth of mobile payments
Mobile devices have clearly been gaining ground for several years and has considerably reduced the share of desktops. Mobile phones and tablets already have a combined market share of over 50 %, when looking at December 2019. However, the share of tablets is decreasing, while mobile phones are increasing in online shopping.
Below are figures for 2012-2019, based on data from Paytrail's payment system. Our payment page is optimized for mobile devices, shopping using a phone or tablet is smooth and the payment page will not increase shopping cart abandonment.
Online payments on different devices 2012-2019
|2012||97,57 %||1,49 %||0,94 %|
|2013||92,72 %||4,60 %||2,68 %|
|2014||86,84 %||8 %||5,16 %|
|2015||81,86 %||8,81 %||9,33 %|
|2016||72,66 %||8,96 %||18,38 %|
|2017||65,03 %||8,76 %||26,21 %|
|2018||59,45 %||9,26 %||31,29 %|
|2019||51,37 %||7,56 %||41,07 %|